Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2013-07-01, 06:44 PM   #61
MuniOrBust
show me the muni!

If you want to do it next year, add a reminder to your calendar. You'll be smart to be online waiting to register at the very moment registration opens. It fills up really quickly.

The organizer announced that next year's entrance fee will go up yet again... basic economics.

I hate to be party pooper, and although I enjoyed most of the 16+ miles that I rode, I'm 90% sure I won't be doing it next year. Here's why...

It's early in the season, and I'm generally not in shape enough to muni the 25 miles. Maybe next year will be different?

It's a single loop, and I ended up being the guy furthest back. The sweeper guy rode a lot of it with me. Knowing this guy was in agony riding slowly and waiting for me was not fun. Hearing his comments along the way to me and others about how easy the trails were was irritating.

I DNF'ed and was hanging out at the finish line for Claude, I could see the timing crew getting impatient that there were a few people out (a few mtbers and Claude). Had I been capable of finishing, at the speed I was moving it would have been significantly later than Claude and the timers would have wanted to kill me. Maybe that's their problem, but as a sort of guest to a mtb race, I wouldn't want a muni rider to be that guy. I prefer courses with different lengths for different skill levels. Then I can choose beginner or sport and hopefully finish before a good chunk of experts.

It's great to meet up with fellow muni riders, but in a race you don't tend to ride together. You just see each other at the start and finish. It ends up feeling like I'm just on some new trail riding by myself, and that's pretty much true.

Significant traveling for races is not appealing. It's not worth the cost (event fee, possible hotel, gas) or drive time for me. I'd rather travel for something like a munifest.

Am I a party pooper?
MuniOrBust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-04, 05:15 AM   #62
David_Stone
New York Unicycle Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniOrBust View Post
Am I a party pooper?
Those are great points you make; sometimes, life is a box of poop.

Well, maybe not, but I feel your pain. I'd hate to be the one holding up the organizers, and your other points sound totally valid. I wonder how long it would take me to get into shape, tho -- because after reading all of these comments, I'm interested. It would depend on how my knees hold up in the coming months. They're pretty weak.

On the plus side, I just got my geared 36", and it's basically built as a muni. (I'd keep it in low gear, naturally.) What I can do, maybe, is to try riding around the Central Park bike loop -- on the dirt and grass paths that enclose the concrete path. That sounds like it might give me the training required for the course ... or at least a taste of it.

Check out my blog (or else):
http://newyorkunicycle.blogspot.com/
David_Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-04, 06:49 PM   #63
munimag
Unicyclist

If you are going to train for this race, you will need to train on a lot of hills. There is a lot of climbing involved.
munimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-04, 10:24 PM   #64
TragicWarrior
Robi D

It would be awesome to muster enough unicyclists to have our own official class in this race. However, I totally agree with Buzz. You shouldn't enter this race lightly. The organizers at Dark Horse Cycles are nice enough and all, but spaces are limited and there are a lot of mountain bikers that would like to get in.

It's a pretty serious course, and you better be in great shape. 24 miles of off-road with some decent climbs and moderately rocky terrain. I was toast after 8 miles but pushed on to mile 14, DNF'ed but still had to ride another 3 miles to drag my sorry exhausted butt out of the woods.
Old 2013-11-08, 04:29 PM   #65
MuniOrBust
show me the muni!

George the organizer of this event just contacted me regarding Singlespeed-a-Palooza 2014. April time-frame, actual date TBD. (2013 was April 28th)

This year he's considering adding a muni class and is asking if we'd have at least 5 riders.

George says:
Quote:
prices are going up because we are trying to give back more to the racers as in payout and race schwag. Still up in the air but someone suggested $75. If you have a class 1st place pays $100...2nd $65 and 3rd $55...plus medals or trophies!
Also, I'm assuming if we have our own class we won't have such a problem registering. The men's classes normally fill up in a few hours!

Despite my above grumblings from this year, my interest just moved up from No Thanks to Considering. (next are Possibly, Likely, Definitely)

What is your interest level?

Last edited by MuniOrBust; 2013-11-08 at 04:32 PM.
Old 2013-11-08, 08:00 PM   #66
steveyo
...feeding the machine...

I have a huge race (www.seneca7.com) on 4/27, so I'm a "not likely", though possible if it's the previous weekend.

- a few uni race write-ups
- muni and kokopelli uni t-shirts, mugs and stickers
steveyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-15, 08:15 PM   #67
TragicWarrior
Robi D

After I DNF'd last year and was left in the woods to be molested by jabberwocky , I wasn't overly keen on doing this one again. However...

Depending on the dates I might be interested if we can get enough unicyclists to get our own class. Nevertheless, the club in Chatham, NY is planning a muni festival for spring which would take priority for me if they fall on the same weekend. Also, there's the Dusseldorf Unicycle Marathon on 27 April for which I've registered but not yet committed.
Old 2013-11-15, 11:00 PM   #68
MuniOrBust
show me the muni!

jabberwocky?!! Perhaps a hallucination in your dehydrated state!

I reported the overall low enthusiasm to George and he responded.
He'll offer a muni class with a footnote saying something like: "Must have 5 or more riders before prizes will be awarded"
So that's pretty damn cool of him. He must like us.

The 2014 race date is Sunday, April 13th.
Does this change anyone's plans?

The BikeReg page will be up this weekend.
Registration will open Super Bowl Sunday, February 2 at noon.
If you're at all thinking about this, add a reminder to your calendar and subscribe to this thread.
Old 2013-11-17, 12:33 PM   #69
steveyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniOrBust View Post
Registration will open Super Bowl Sunday, February 2 at noon. If you're at all thinking about this, add a reminder to your calendar and subscribe to this thread.
...because the race sells out lickety-split.

Old 2013-11-17, 04:01 PM   #70
unigoat
Uni CX is a thing.

This race looks like it would be right up my alley.

Unfortunately, it's about 6 hours away- and on a Sunday in early April- when weather is a total crap shoot. I run into problems with getting off of work at that time of year too. Ugh.

Having uni specific classes is very important. We need more uni specific classes at other events. It's tough though too as we don't want to hold up organizers waiting for us to be the last finishers.

We'll have some events this way a little later in the year which will feature uni specific classes- with enough riders. Obviously these will be 4-6hr away from the SSAP. Most likely there will be a 6 hr race, and most definitely there will be The Fat Tire Challenge. We can have a series in the Fall too (at the Month of Mud).

Most of these depend on 5 riders or more to make a class. The Fat Tire Challenge has been the exception. And the course is such that we can be a minimal inconvenience for the organizers.

I'm not trying to threadjack. We as unicyclists need to coordinate and support events that we can make it to. Hopefully we can find events within a couple hour radius of where we live that are worth attending.

Oh yeah, we're planning a Munifest too.
unigoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 08:22 PM   #71
steveyo

All right. Registration is coming quickly for this race. This year's date (as Buzz mentioned) is Sunday, April 13, 2014. Registration (here) opens Sunday, February 02, 2014 at 12:00 NOON, Eastern Standard Time.

It will likely sell out in one day or less. Since this is two week prior to another event (instead of 1 week prior) I'm seriously considering it. If we get five unis, as aforementioned, they will give our own category.

Who's thinking about it?

Old 2014-01-10, 09:14 PM   #72
steveyo

Incidentally, Rob (tragicwarrior) - the Chatham Munifest is tentatively scheduled for June, so no conflict there.

Old 2014-01-10, 11:59 PM   #73
MuniOrBust
show me the muni!

I wish it were 2 or less hours away, and cost $30 or less. I guess if I'm gonna drive 9 hours round trip and shell out $200+ (race, gas, lodge) I want to ride more with my muni buds. Oddly, racing pretty much means riding alone.

I'd go more for a day-trip meetup, or a munifest. Maybe even at Stewart State Forest, maybe even following the race course, and early in the season (I'd like to go to the Chatham Munifest in June too)
Old 2014-01-11, 08:43 PM   #74
steveyo

Well I got some communication from Dark Horse Cycles. They suggested they'd start the unis early to let us finish with the pack. Sounds like a great idea!

Old 2014-01-12, 10:10 PM   #75
MuniOrBust
show me the muni!

Having the unis start early might be cool. I wouldn't have a marshal on my tail for most of the race. Though we'd get passed by 290ish mtbers.

My kids are on spring break at that time.
I really would love to redeem myself after my DNF last year.
And seeing the "Unicycles" class listed certainly calls to me.

The more I think about it the more I want to do it.
Hmm...

Tags
april, newburgh, race, singlespeedapalooza, year