Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2015-09-19, 11:18 AM   #61
MrImpossible
Unicyclist

UCI sanctioned races have a 33mm tire width limit, but I doubt anybody who lets a unicycle race would be running under UCI rules.

There's also a rule against forward-pointing bar ends and handlebar extensions; those usually do get enforced (e.g. mountain bikes have to take any bar ends off). I can imagine that one being used against a uni.

--

'cross races are usually blazingly fast, even in the back of the joke groups where people are taking beer hand-ups as they go by. It's a whole order of magnitude worse than joining a mtb race, and the terrain is usually super-boring. I don't think I would want to do one (unless there were somehow enough unis to get their own class), since basically the only thing I would be accomplishing is amusing the crowd.

But maybe I'm just too competitive. I used to do the 'A' races and hope to finish in the money, and the last time I tried one I think I was third-last in the slowest over-40 category, and it made me grumpy. I probably should have taken the beer hand ups and just enjoyed myself. It's definitely a fun environment. The crowd would like watching a uni go by.
MrImpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-19, 11:27 AM   #62
Siddhartha Valmont
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrImpossible View Post
There's also a rule against forward-pointing bar ends and handlebar extensions; those usually do get enforced (e.g. mountain bikes have to take any bar ends off). I can imagine that one being used against a uni.
On this one, there is still the loop-style handlebars like the Qu-ax

Definitely, joining a bike race is only for the personal challenge except if you got manage to get a uni category.
Old 2015-09-20, 04:33 PM   #63
Superbant
Unicyclist

Location: Far, far away in a place with a yard and two floors and a basement and a few unicycles and lots of books and tall trees and good food and some computers and lots of unicycle.com stickers and plenty of misspellings and bad grammar and run on sentances
I saw a unicycle at the Single Speed "World Championship". Everyone there suscribed to the beer handup theory, though. I think a unicyle would give you an advantage on the 3ft. barrier, and the Le Mans start.

This was a non-USAC event, so any kind of handlebar would be allowed.

The course wasn't overly bumpy, but there were some pretty long straight aways. I'm not sure how well run ups would work with a unicycle, though most of the bikes didn't do very well either.

Tags
bike, cyclocross, race, uni