Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-11-12, 07:00 PM   #16
Unigan
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
Are you familiar with the road rules for wheeled recreational devices? They are much the same in QLD and NSW.
Yeah you're not meant to ride on a road that has a speed limit higher then 50 km/hr, so I mostly stick to footpaths where possible but if it's quicker to use the road I don't mind doing it provided it's safe. Now I don't go out riding on busy peak hour roads and I wouldn't do that on my bike either.

You also are not required to wear a helmet but I worry if I was pulled over whatever cop on duty will not be familiar with the laws so I wear one most of the time to avoid being hassled.
Unigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-14, 09:38 AM   #17
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unigan View Post
Yeah you're not meant to ride on a road that has a speed limit higher then 50 km/hr, .
Rule 240 has the same meaning in NSW and Queensland but laid out differently.

Effectively:

(1) A person must not travel in or on a wheeled recreational device or wheeled toy on:
(a) a road with a dividing line or median strip, or
(b) a road on which the speed limit is greater than 50 kilometres per hour, or
(c) a one-way road with more than 1 marked lane.

(d) on a road at night

Subsection (1) does not apply to a person who is crossing a
road in or on a wheeled recreational device or wheeled toy, if
the person—

(a) crosses the road by the shortest safe route; and
(b) does not stay on the road longer than necessary to cross
the road safely.

(3) In this section—
road does not include a road-related area, but includes any
shoulder of the road.
Old 2019-11-14, 10:04 AM   #18
BruceC
Unicyclist

Quote:
Rule 240 has the same meaning in NSW and Queensland but laid out differently.
I keep rules 240-244 bookmarked on my phone for day when Mr Plod doesn't know them, including those rules allowing unicycles to ride on the footpath. Of course sometimes it pays just play dumb, like when I rode to Wollongong on the MS Gong ride, all the way on main roads. Nobody seemed to care that day!
BruceC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-14, 10:44 AM   #19
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceC View Post
Of course sometimes it pays just play dumb, like when I rode to Wollongong on the MS Gong ride, all the way on main roads. Nobody seemed to care that day!
I did a 30 km "Ride For Life" at the end of July, most of it illegally. A motorcycle cop watched me ride by then rode past me shortly afterwards. I don't think they would stoop so low as to make a fuss on an event like that.

I love these opportunities to get out on the bigger roads and actually go somewhere.
Old 2019-11-14, 11:11 AM   #20
BruceC
Unicyclist

Quote:
I love these opportunities to get out on the bigger roads and actually go somewhere.
Me to, but the law does have merit. I would have liked to practice the Sydney Wollongong ride first, but not legally possible. I rode a section on 2-wheels one day, and as it was still early morning I thought I'd try the unicycle through the national park. Got about 5km and turned back. Rather scary stuff, narrow road with no shoulder, loose material at the side, camber, and very fast traffic leaving no "1m" gap. The unicycle, well certainly this rider, was just not accurate or stable enough to ride that close to traffic on those roads. A UPD at the wrong time would have been disastrous. Best to wait until the road was closed before riding.

The best ""illegal" ride I did was last years' Spring Cycle Challenge, over the Sydney Harbour Bridge in Lane 2. What a privilege, and perhaps not illegal as I was directed by Police to go that direction...
Old 2019-11-14, 07:21 PM   #21
Unigan
Unicyclist

When Ed Pratt did his unicycle tour didn't he just ride anywhere you would expect a bike to ride? I think he did get hassled in South Australia but that wasn't because he was on a uni he probably would have got the same response if he was on a bike.

Has anyone really had any negative reactions from law enforcement from police while riding?
Old 2019-11-14, 08:37 PM   #22
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceC View Post
The best ""illegal" ride I did was last years' Spring Cycle Challenge, over the Sydney Harbour Bridge in Lane 2. What a privilege, and perhaps not illegal as I was directed by Police to go that direction...
I was fortunate, while I lived in New York, to be able to ride several bridges and tunnels that were normally (very!) off-limits to bikes. Holland Tunnel, Brooklyn Battery Tunnel under the rivers, and, as part of the NYC 5-Boro Bike Tour, Queensboro Bridge and the Verrezano Narrows Bridge, where bikes took up all lanes on one level, with the cars on the other.
Quote:
Has anyone really had any negative reactions from law enforcement from police while riding?
Only when I was riding on private property....

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-14, 08:43 PM   #23
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

Common sense generally prevails.

I doubt the police will be much bothered if you're riding smoothly, confidently and thoughtfully on a 36er while decked out in a helmet and cycling gear and running decent lights. Bonus points if you have a bell and brake.

Where I live the the most concerning cycling behaviour is people riding (bikes) at night with no lights. That's a real problem - they really are invisible sometimes.

Last edited by lightbulbjim; 2019-11-14 at 08:44 PM.
lightbulbjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-15, 01:01 AM   #24
Pinoclean
Unicyclist

Quote:
When Ed Pratt did his unicycle tour didn't he just ride anywhere you would expect a bike to ride? I think he did get hassled in South Australia but that wasn't because he was on a uni he probably would have got the same response if he was on a bike.

I got kicked out of the Spring City Cycle by police for not wearing a helmet. I argued that by law we didnt have to and showed them the NSW Government transport website which said so but they wanted to see the legislation, then I argued and got banned from the area for 24 hours. I found the legislation later but didn't have it on hand then.

The policeman went and looked up the legislation and called me back 3 days later and said I was correct that I didn't have to wear a helmet but I was riding on roads with dividing lines, more than one lane etc. I still argued that it was a closed event so it was not a public road but he said it was and said he wasnt going to take it further but he could.

I call bullshit, it was a butthurt policeman trying to get his power back after he was wrong. if it was a public road technically every cyclist there was not obeying the road rules as they were riding 40 people abreast, small children, bikes with towbikes on the back and god knows what else. I think if I went to court over that I would win but wasn't going to bother.

I haven't done the cycle since because based on idiot police officer it is illegal for us to ride on the road despite being a closed event. I know a bunch of riders who have done it every year since as long as you wera a helmet they don't care about you riding on the road. It's the grey area and the fact that no one knows the rules.

I could however do the entire spring city cycle without a helmet riding on the footpath next to the road the cyclists ride on but I don't want to encourage them to change that law so I wont stir the pot that much.
Pinoclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-16, 08:24 AM   #25
Unigan
Unicyclist

That sucks you had that argument with him, guess it's a good idea to have a helmet just to avoid being hassled. Given the choice I'd rather not wear a helmet and that includes riding bikes.

Just took my 24 & 29 to my local BMX tracks to give it another shot. My riding has improved dramatically I can almost do a full circuit at one of the tracks. The other track I pulled off a full circuit on the 29. Last time I tried these was months ago and I was lucky to make it over 2 mounds in a row. Still leaves me absolutely knackered doing it but I'm faring much better.

Anyone else try out BMX tracks on their unis? I might have to go to the one in Bracken Ridge again might be able to do that one now.
Old 2019-11-19, 12:45 AM   #26
Pinoclean
Unicyclist

Quote:
That sucks you had that argument with him, guess it's a good idea to have a helmet just to avoid being hassled. Given the choice I'd rather not wear a helmet and that includes riding bikes.

Just took my 24 & 29 to my local BMX tracks to give it another shot. My riding has improved dramatically I can almost do a full circuit at one of the tracks. The other track I pulled off a full circuit on the 29. Last time I tried these was months ago and I was lucky to make it over 2 mounds in a row. Still leaves me absolutely knackered doing it but I'm faring much better.

Anyone else try out BMX tracks on their unis? I might have to go to the one in Bracken Ridge again might be able to do that one now.
After getting banned by one cop I ended back at the race start asking for a refund from the organisers. Another cop (assuming more senior by his more superior looking hat) had a go at me and I used a comeback that another unicyclist had used on security guards when they try to claim it is a bike.

Policeman: You need a helmet
Me: no it is a wheeled recreational device. By law you don't need a helmet on it unlike a bike.
Policeman: it is a bike
Me: no it isnt
Policeman: yes it is
Me: can you ride a bike?
Policeman: yes
Me: *handing unicycle to policeman* here, ride this
Policeman: ...well its more dangerous than a bike
Pinoclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-19, 03:43 AM   #27
wobblysteve
Unicyclist

Smile

Quote:
Anyway that's my uni history almost been riding a full year, having tons of fun learning something new and unusual. Only downside is finding other like minded people.
Learning to ride within a year gives me hope to continue with my practicing Unigan, thanks.
wobblysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-19, 05:48 AM   #28
Unigan
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblysteve View Post
Learning to ride within a year gives me hope to continue with my practicing Unigan, thanks.
NP it's easier then you think, I was able to pretty much ride anywhere I wanted within a month, freemounting took a little longer another month I think? Which involved a couple of hours practise each day or so, you just need a little time for your brain to re wire and the magic will happen.

Others say anyone can learn to ride in 10-15hrs of total practise time and I'm inclined to agree as it took me a similar amount of time if I added it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoclean View Post
Me: no it is a wheeled recreational device. By law you don't need a helmet on it unlike a bike.
Policeman: ...well its more dangerous than a bike
That's gold I gotta use that one, and the more dangerous then a bike? Yeah I disagree.

Last edited by Unigan; 2019-11-19 at 05:50 AM.
Old 2019-11-19, 08:02 AM   #29
Gockie
Gal who started riding at nearly 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoclean View Post

Policeman: ...
Love it!!
Old 2019-11-19, 09:30 AM   #30
BruceC
Unicyclist

Quote:
and the more dangerous then a bike? Yeah I disagree.
Well, after riding my 29 through part of the Royal National Park on a nice Sunday morning I don't think anything pedaled there is safe, but a unicycle was just suicidal. Hard to hold the line along the narrow road's edge, broken branches, camber and bumps pushing you into the flow of traffic, no emergency stopping other than UPD, and any UPD would mean you and/or unicycle going under the wheels of passing car and motorcycle hoons. Hoons you can't see coming as turning the head can make you even less stable.

The unicycle itself is safer than a bike, so issues there, but the environment it is operating in must be considered.

Tags
australia