Unicyclist Community

Unicyclist Community (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/index.php)
-   Unicycle Product Reviews (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Benifits of handlebars? (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72544)

SirCharles1st 2008-08-30 04:40 AM

Benifits of handlebars?

Many of the 36" unicycles that people show pictures of seem to have handlebars, but not all of them. So i'm wondering what the benifits of having handlebars are? Any drawbacks?

I'm considering geting a Coker V2 and i'm trying to figure out if geting handlebars with it is a worthy investment.

saskatchewanian 2008-08-30 06:36 AM

A bit of searching and reading would get you your answers but since you asked: they greatly reduce wobble, let you get some weight off the seat, tuck you in a more aerodynamic position, give you somewhere to have your brake handle, can help steer and generally make you more stable at speed.

I like my handles lower and further out than most.

Here are some threads you could check out

Handle vs Weight on a 36

T7 handle....Cambridge style (with drops / fangs)

T7 handle is excellent.

Handlebar discussion - How to?

Have fun

ERIC

kington99 2008-08-30 08:42 PM

gives you better stability, gives you a way of getting your weight off the saddle for saddle comfort, gives you somewhere to put your brake lever/cycle comp/bell/horn

siafirede 2008-08-31 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirCharles1st
Many of the 36" unicycles that people show pictures of seem to have handlebars, but not all of them. So i'm wondering what the benifits of having handlebars are? Any drawbacks?

I'm considering geting a Coker V2 and i'm trying to figure out if geting handlebars with it is a worthy investment.

If you were thinking about getting the Coker handlebars you should keep in mind that a few riders have complained about the bars on the handles hitting their knees while riding. A lot of distance riders seem to like the T7 handle which will attach directly to your seat and then you need to have a rail type seatpost.

Are you set on the V2? From what I have heard the V2 frame is quite heavy, but it does look kind of cool. You might want to checkout the Nimbus Nightrider from unicycle dot com, it has a better tire, rim, and frame.

eenwieler-sander 2008-09-02 07:50 AM

the handlebars are good for you balance and the most inportant thing you can rest on it so saddle pain is not so much;)

if you look around on the forums you can see more home build handlebars.

For myself i dont really like the t7 handlebar althow i have not used it for a long trip but i think they are to close to your sadle.

i have not got a good picture right now of my own handlebar but if you can see this foto : http://www.anp-photo.com/downloadpic....pp?id=5458259
this handlebar is from Dustin Schaap and is almost the same as mine.

some people have seen this big handlebars at the bus trailer at the marathon at unicon:D

Unicycle-Emele 2008-09-08 09:14 PM

I have a question. Do you guys think that theres any point to putting a handle on a 29'er.

Yes 2008-09-09 12:23 AM

i think it depends on what you will be doing with the 29er.

Unicycle-Emele 2008-09-09 12:24 AM

Well im not doing muni with it. I would do road distance. Anyone think that a handle would be a good idea?

saskatchewanian 2008-09-09 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unicycle-Emele
Well im not doing muni with it. I would do road distance. Anyone think that a handle would be a good idea?

yes

for all the reasons I stated above.

Unicycle-Emele 2008-09-09 12:51 AM

thanks. Just wanted to make sure before I got one.

feel the light 2008-09-09 07:49 AM

I have never riden with those bar things

I would like to try one, just to try it, and so many good riders say it's great.

I don't think I want one really. I'm a sloppy rider, and I like to "run off" , my ineptitude, Maybe I am totally wrong about how it looks like this stuff may complicate my not infrequent crashes. I am getting pretty good at bailing, and like to keep it simple.:)

eenwieler-sander 2008-09-09 09:15 AM

my handle bar does not get in the way when crashing although i have luckly only had one crash. so no problem even when you have a really big handlebar;)

munirocks 2008-09-09 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eenwieler-sander
my handle bar does not get in the way when crashing although i have luckly only had one crash. so no problem even when you have a really big handlebar;)

+1

Chrashing 2008-09-09 02:04 PM

As far as handlebar crashing, I had a number of hits with the front of the seat plastic handle nailing my ankel, but have had no problem with the T7 hitting me. The T7 never seems to be in my way. I ride with a T7 on a Nimbus 36.

CANUNII 2008-09-09 03:14 PM

I have a V2 with the handle bars and I am happy with them. My legs do not hit the bars while riding, but my inner thighs have been bruised a couple times during UPDs because of hitting the handle grips. The handle grips also get shifted back during falls when they hit the ground, but I just knock them back into place with my hand.

My computer fits nicely between the handle grips. I agree with all the other benefits listed by others above and I also just like having a place to rest my arms during long trips.

As far as the V2 goes, it is a little heavier than other 36s but it doesn't bother me. I like the way it looks and it is very rigid. I don't plan on winning any races so I don't think I would notice a one or two pound difference anyway. One thing that was annoying at first was that my leg was hitting the frame a little because it sticks out further than other 36s. But now that I have been riding it a couple of months, my legs never hit the frame anymore.